MNEWS: The history of Alma Mater’s parkway



*** begin quote ***

The Henry Hudson Parkway, named for to the English explorer and navigator, who sailed past Spuyten Duyvil in the Half Moon in 1609, begins at the West Side Highway in Manhattan at West 72nd Street and continues north through the Bronx as Route 9A, where it cuts through Riverdale and Fieldston into Van Cortlandt Park; once it crosses into Westchester County, it changes its name to the Saw Mill River Parkway. It was commissioned in 1936 by NYC traffic czar Robert Moses and opened in 1937. 
South of Riverdale Avenue, the HHP took over the route of the Spuyten Duyvil Parkway; east of the HHP, the Spuyten Duyvil Parkway survives, but with a name change to the Manhattan College Parkway. As such it traverses some of the Bronx’s highest hills. 

*** end quote ***

# – # – # – # – #  2017-Sep-26 @ 17:07  


Comments are closed.